Some time ago, while browsing the Internet, I came across building blocks made out of Jell-O (you know kind of like Jell-O Jigglers). I’m far from creative in the kitchen and I didn’t think anything of it. Then I was presented the opportunity to have a Mega Blok party. I then remembered the cool Jell-O idea. I thought the kids would appreciate some cool looking Jell-O. After searching the internet, I realized many people have done this; however, I could not find one post on how they got the Jell-O out – successfully.
So I decided to dive in and test it out on my own. I got everything ready to start my masterpiece. I prepared three different flavors of Jell-O – orange, strawberry and lemon-lime. I washed the Mega Bloks really well with warm water and soap. Then let them completely dry. I then sprayed the insides with non-stick cooking spray.
At first I was going to use a baster to fill the Mega Bloks; however, after trying out a measuring cup, it was perfect. I’m sure it was a lot faster than using a baster, as well. I thought I was going to have too much Jell-O with the three packages. It was the perfect amount. I filled all of the Mega Bloks without having to do multiple batches.
I let them set in the refrigerator over night. This is where I just started doing things that sounded ‘right.’ Remember, I was never able to find the right way to get the Jell-O out of the Mega Bloks. I grabbed my Jell-O and a bowl of warm water.
At first, I started trying to get the jell-O out one by one. I was a little finicky because I usually don’t do things like this. I was holding one individual Mega Blok in the bowl of water without submerging – yes, one at a time.
The one at a time thing was not working out so well. For one, it was taking forever. Not to mention, my lack of confidence was taking over and this is what I produced… a glob of Jell-O mess. This did not look like a Mega Blok.
I finally decided it was time to buck up and not only get it done but get it done right! I’m a woman, I’m a mom. I can do this. It’s only Jell-O! So I started tossing a few in there at a time. This was much quicker.
Not only was this quicker, it was working. I quit being fragile and starting shaking this Jell-O right out of the Mega Bloks. I owned these things now. It was obviously working. You can see the difference in how much nicer they were coming out.
In the end, I think there might have been a better way to present them. I didn’t have anything else really. Well now that I think about a deviled egg tray might have worked somehow. The kids could still see that they were Mega Bloks and thought they were pretty cool. So they served their purpose.