featured

Keep Your Kids Safe: Coin Cell Safety with Rayovac

 

When it comes to my children, I’m a mother who thinks of everything that could go wrong. Batteries are something that I have always feared they could choke on. For the longest time, I only worried about AAA batteries and maybe AA. At that point, I didn’t think anything of Lithium coin cell batteries (aka button batteries). I’m sure I let that one slip my mind because I didn’t have anything that required a coin cell battery. Now I do. 

Lithium coin cell batteries are found in watches, weight scales, laptops, digital thermometers, keychain remotes, small remotes, calculators, musical greeting cards and I’m sure there is more. We have a small remote that requires a Lithium coin cell battery. I’ve actually "lost" the remote. I think I did it on purpose but I really don’t know what happened to it. Even if my son just dropped it, the back could pop off and he would have access to the coin cell battery. 

My son is three years old. Some may think that he wouldn’t put something like a coin cell battery in his mouth. Maybe he wouldn’t on purpose. When my daughter (now nine years old) was two and a half, she was lying on her back watching television. I was getting dressed in my bedroom. I heard what sounded like a choking sound. I ran into the living room and she was red in the face with watery eyes. She just had got her breath back. She was playing with a penny above her face and it accidentally fell into her mouth. I took her to the emergency room anyway but she ended up passing it through. The doctor did mention if it had been a quarter, we might not have been so lucky. Some coin cell batteries are the size of a quarter. That is scary. 

Did you know that there are approximately 500 cases of Lithium coin cell ingestions every year? 62.5% of those cases are children under six years of age. There are more statistics you can see below; however, 8.2% of those cases were children taking the batteries straight from their packages. While you can help prevent the other 91.8% of the cases, Rayovac is going to help with the 8.2% that come from their packages. 

In 2013, Rayovac will improve their Lithium coin cell battery packaging to help prevent accidental ingestions. The plastic blister that holds the batter will be sealed between two cards. In order to remove the batter, you will need to use a pair of scissors. For multi-packs (containing more than one battery), each coin cell battery will be individually sealed so the consumer will have to cut out each individual battery. The actual batteries will also be physically imprinted with a child safety warning that way awareness and education will continue even after the they are out of the package. 

You can find more information on coin cell safety at Rayovac’s website. Be sure to like Rayovac on Facebook and follow them on Twitter to stay up with the latest news, contests and promotions. 

 


 Although I am a Rayovac Power Blogger and being compensated for my time, all thoughts and opinions are those of my own.